Windows Unified Write Filter (UWF)
Unified Write Filter (UWF) write protects files, folders or partitions to prevent corruption of data from sudden power loss and stops unauthorised modification of the system – once the user reboots the system, he or she is presented with a clean install.
- Reduce wear on solid-state drives. You cannot use UWF to protect external removable drives, USB devices or flash drives.
- make read-only media appear to the OS as a writable volume
- fast startup needs to be disabled
- Read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/enterprise/unified-write-filter
- Turn on UWF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/enterprise/uwf-turnonuwf#turn-on-uwf-on-a-running-pc
- Windows 10 Enterprise
- Shell Launcher, Boot Experience, and Custom Logon
- Microsoft Windows: Windows 10, Windows Server, Windows IoT, Windows Server containers, RDP, Windows Defender, Windows Unified Write Filter (UWF), ReFS,
Start-Service, Stop-Service, Set-Service, DISM, SFC, systeminfo, Microsoft Hyper-V, WSL, Windows Terminal, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WLS), Windows Server 2022, PowerShell,
query user, WLMS, File explorer, Copy-Item, BitLocker, Cmdlet