A wikipedia:disk array is a disk storage system which contains multiple disk drives (HDD or SDD). It is differentiated from a disk enclosure by providing additional functionalities and capabilities such as fault tolerant designs, cache memory, different RAID levels, deduplication, encryption and even virtualization.
Primary vendors of storage systems include
- Dell EMC
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Hitachi Data Systems (HDS)
- NetApp: NetApp FAS
- Oracle Corporation
Some disk arrays such as NetApp allows to group disks creating pools of HDD, SDD or mixed.
- Identify available vendors offering disk array solutions and their OS such as Netapp ONTAP
- Identify main advantages of using a disk array solution vs using computer internal disks or a internal array controller
- Identify main characteristics of disk arrays fault tolerant designs
- Identity hot plugging capabilities of disk arrays
- Understand different connectivity technologies such as Fibre Channel, NFS or iSCSI availables on disk arrays products.
- NetApp, NetApp FAS: ONTAP, NetApp Metrocluster, SVM, LIF, NetApp FAS model history, NetAPP Aggregate, FabricPool, FlexGroup, FlexCache, FlexVol, Spot.io, Ocean
- Storage: Fibre Channel, Disk arrays, Disk array shelves, Disk array controller, CD-ROM, DVD, Tape library, LTO, HDD, SSD, SCSI, iSCSI, SAS, SATA, SEDs, OPAL, Magnetic storage, WORM
- IOPs and block size
- Fibre Channel: SAN, HBA, LUN, WWN, WWPN, LIF,
- HPE ProLiant Smart Array Controllers
- File systems:
virt-filesystems, Windows: (FAT, NTFS, ReFS), GPFS, squashfs, Ecryptfs, Encfs, FUSE, VMFS, Comparison of distributed file systems, Userspace filesystem